Wednesday

Optimism or Delusion?

I recently was on an airplane when this public service commercial was played on the TV.  In general I like the Values billboards and commercials, but I cringed at this one the first time I saw it.  Now, I'm all for optimism, I think it's one of the things that makes our country strong, but personally I think this video is more representative of delusion than it is of healthy optimism.Optimism is defined as hopefulness and confidence in future success, but this kid keeps saying "I am the greatest".  Not "I can be the greatest" or "I will be the greatest", but I "am" the greatest.  There's nothing future about the word "am".  This kid isn't being optimistic, he's just dreaming in his own little fantasy world, which isn't wrong, but certainly isn't a core value I would want to advocate.  The phrase "the greatest" also bothers me because only one person can be "the greatest".  If optimism is confidence in future success, then it seems like this video is equating success with being "the greatest".  The fact that this boy's inability to be the greatest hitter causes him to fall back on being the greatest pitcher makes it seem as though he has to be the greatest at something.  If we pass on the value to 300 million people that they have to be the one greatest to be successful, we can pretty much guarantee that most of them are going to end up disappointed.

Also, look at the kid's expression, along with his "wow" at 45 seconds, right after he strikes himself out.  His eyes open wide as if he has just been enlightened.  As if this truth has just washed over him.  To me it seems as though the video is trying to say that greatness just miraculously comes to you.  And that you can just realize you're the best without any consideration of the lifetime of work it would actually take to get there.  I would consider anyone who actually thought like that to be severely delusional.

On a final note, the music at the end:  Celebrate Good Times? Really?  Has there ever been a reasonable parent who says to their kid at the beginning of a school year "I'm optimistic that you're going to get straight A's, so lets go celebrate now"?  You don't celebrate being optimistic, you celebrate later after you actually put in the work and achieve success.  If you agree or if you think I'm overreacting please comment.

1 comment:

  1. Jackson, Good job blogging this term (after taking Feb off!!). I like this post -- especially the way you use a personal experience and analyze it in personal terms. Right now it stays a little abstract, though, don't you think? I wonder if you can find data to corroborate the conclusions you've casually drawn.

    ReplyDelete