Sunday

Homosexuality in Gatsby

Earlier today I went out and saw this new movie called "The Great Gatsby".  Overall I liked the movie, which in terms of plot stayed pretty close to the book.  However, Baz Luhrmann made one choice in his adaption of the classic that I thought was strange.  In the book, Nick Carraway could very reasonably be considered gay.  He leaves a party with Mr. McKee and then suddenly regains memory next to his bed while he is clad in only underwear (38).  In the movie, Nick ends up with a woman at the same party, then wakes up alone at his own house.

Nick at the party sitting with two girls with no sign of McKee
I think F. Scott Fitzgerald had to make this scene very inconspicuous because of how looked down upon homosexuality was in the 20s.  But to me, the fact that he included this scene even with all the negative views of homosexuality means he thought it was very important to the overall book.  Noah Berlatsky, writer for The Atlantic, says in a blog that Nicks homosexuality could help him connect with Gatsby in that they both need to deceive others to be seen how they want.

Given all of this I think its weird that Baz Lurhmann cut this from the movie.  I think our society today is much more accepting of homosexuality than it was when the book came out, so doesn't that mean it should have been even easier to use Nick's homosexuality to help the story?  I think they way Fitzgerald snuck in this homoerotic scene was pretty genius given the time in which he was writing, and I think the movie should have honored that much more than it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment